#3 of 12 in the Life Insurance “Checklist For The Real World” series.
When selecting a life insurance agent to write your application, there are a few things that are helpful to consider:
- Are They Local or Not? Greater availability of a local life insurance agent is a myth. Ask around and you’ll find that the availability of an agent doesn’t have anything to do with their locality to you. Good life insurance agents make themselves available. The main thing is to check with the state department of insurance for your state and lookup the agent’s name, check for disciplinary actions, continuing education…etc.)
- Do you like them? Don’t buy from someone you don’t like when there is surely someone you like that'll do just as good a job and maybe better. Trust your instincts.
- Are they responsive? Do they return phone calls? How soon?
- Helpful, Good Teacher, Knowledgeable…etc. (have them give you a few reasons for and against the decision you made on your own) if they can intelligently and patiently give you some options, there’s a good chance they’ll be a great life insurance agent. If they sound annoyed or give you some sort of short answer that basically tells you “let's do the deal already!” They don’t deserve your business, regardless of how successful they appear or how much they claim to know.
- Get an online life insurance quote.